Registration Open For 43rd Freihofer’s® Run For Women On Sept. 25
ALBANY, N.Y. (June 21, 2021) — Online registration for the 43rd Freihofer’s® Run for Women, which is set for Saturday, Sept. 25 at 9 a.m., is now open at freihofersrun.com.
All registrants receive a high-performance women’s commemorative t-shirt, delicious Freihofer’s® products, chip timing, live results, printable finisher certificates, and post-race refreshments courtesy of Price Chopper Supermarkets. The registration fee is $30 through Aug. 30.
Runners of all abilities looking to get in shape for the region’s premier all-women 5K can also sign up now for the Freihofer’s® Training Challenge, which begins Sunday, July 11 at 17 sites in Albany, Rensselaer, Saratoga and Dutchess counties.
The 10-week program, which costs $55, follows a beginner’s 5K training plan and features weekly, small group training sessions led by mentors. Participants also receive emails with each day’s workout schedule, a tech shirt, and clinics on strength training, nutrition, run form, and injury prevention.
A convenient virtual program is also offered for those concerned about being around others or who plan to be away during the summer. For a $40 registration fee, participants receive weekly workout emails, a tech shirt and the program’s educational resources sent electronically.
“The Training Challenge typically begins in March when there’s snow on the ground,” said FRW Event Director Kristen Hislop. “This year, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, our Training Challenge is starting later in the year and the weather will be much nicer. We’re hoping more women will give their motivation a boost, improve their health and make some new friends by signing up.”
The Training Challenge’s beginner’s program is for women who are new to running or are coming back after a break. The program starts with walking and jogging and progresses as the race date approaches.
“The intermediate program is for those who have completed a 5K or want more challenging workouts, while our advanced program is for those athletes ready for focused speed and distance workouts,” Hislop added. “These women should already be able to run five or more miles at a time.
“Both the in-person or virtual Training Challenge are designed to prepare you for the 43rd Freihofer’s Run for Women,” she continued. “When registering for the 5K, choose the in-person or virtual option and the virtual Training Challenge on the main screen. To register for the in-person Training Challenge, you’ll need to continue through the registration process to add on the Training Challenge and then select a site of your choice for your in-person workout sessions.”
The following is a list of Training Challenge sites and times:
- 5:15 p.m. – Zim Smith Trail (3 Curry Road, Round Lake) — Beginner
- 5:30 p.m. – Albany Rail Trail (1520 New Scotland Road, Slingerlands; Park behind Slingerlands Fire Department) — Intermediate
- 5:30 p.m. – Bethlehem HS (700 Delaware Avenue, Delmar) — Beginner
- 5:30 p.m. – The Albany Corning Preserve (1 Quay Street, Albany) — Beginner
- 6 p.m. – Peebles Island (1 Delaware Avenue North, Cohoes) — Beginner
- 6 p.m. – Southern Saratoga YMCA (1 Wall Street, Clifton Park) — Beginner
- 6 p.m. – The Crossings of Colonie (580 Albany Shaker Road, Albany) — Beginner/Intermediate
- 6 a.m. – Halfmoon Town Park (162 NY-236, Clifton Park) — Beginner
- 5:30 p.m. – Guilderland YMCA (250 Winding Brook Drive, Guilderland) — Beginner/Intermediate
- 5:30 p.m. – The Crossings of Colonie (580 Albany Shaker Road, Albany; Back pavilion) — Beginner/Intermediate
- 5:30 p.m. – Saratoga State Park (19 Roosevelt Drive, Saratoga Springs) — Beginner
- 6:30 a.m. – Colonie Mohawk River Park (71 Schermerhorn Road, Cohoes) — Beginner/Intermediate
- 4:30 p.m. - Red Hook Town Park (Route 79, Red Hook) — Intermediate
- 5:30 p.m. – iRunLocal (425 Broadway, Saratoga Springs) — Beginner
- 5:30 p.m. – Southern Saratoga YMCA (1 Wall Street, Clifton Park) — Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced
- 5:30 p.m. – Bethlehem High School (700 Delaware Avenue, Delmar) — Beginner
- 6 p.m. – East Greenbush Library (10 Community Way, East Greenbush) — Intermediate
- 8 a.m. – Corinth Post Office (97 Main Street, Corinth) — Beginner
- 5 p.m. - Albany Rail Trail (722 South Pearl Street, Albany) — Advanced
- 6 p.m. - Albany Rail Trail (8 Grove Street, Voorheesville) — Advanced
- 6 p.m. - Saratoga State Park (19 Roosevelt Drive, Saratoga Springs) — Beginner/Intermediate
- 7:30 a.m. – Zim Smith Trail (3 Curry Road, Round Lake) — Beginner/Intermediate
- 8 a.m. – East Greenbush Bike Path (Greenwood Drive, East Greenbush) — Intermediate
- 8 a.m. - Saratoga State Park (19 Roosevelt Drive, Saratoga Springs) — Beginner
- 8 a.m. – Southern Saratoga YMCA (1 Wall Street, Clifton Park) — Intermediate
- 9 a.m. – The Crossings of Colonie (580 Albany Shaker Road, Albany) — Beginner/Intermediate
To sign up for the Training Challenge, visit freihofersrun.com. Online registration through the 5K is the only method of registering. Registration closes on Sunday, July 25. A dedicated Training Challenge Facebook page can be found at facebook.com/freihoferstrainingchallenge. For more information, email email@example.com.
For additional information about the 43rd annual Freihofer’s® Run for Women, 33rd annual Kids’ Run and 11th annual Freihofer’s® Junior 3K Run, visit freihofersrun.com. From the home page, you can also link to the event's Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube pages.
About the Freihofer’s Run for Women
Founded in 1979 as the Freihofer’s Run for Life, the Freihofer’s Run for Women is one of the nation’s most prestigious all-women road races. Home to the Masters World Best & U.S. All-Comers record of 15:48 set in 2004 by Colleen DeReuck, the 5K features some of America’s best long-distance runners and more than 3,000 women from 28 countries and 30 states who challenge themselves on a course that begins and ends adjacent to the New York State Capitol. From Olympians to recreational runners, it’s an empowering blend of competition, participation and camaraderie. For more information, please visit freihofersrun.com.