Please visit the Freihofer’s Training Challenge Facebook page to learn about the program and get updates.
To sign up for the 11th Training Challenge please register for the 5K. You will have the choice to sign up for a virtual Training Challenge or further along in the registration process for the in person Training Challenge. Sign up will be open through July 31, 2021.
The Freihofer’s Training Challenge prepares you to run in the Freihofer’s Run for Women 5K. We offer a beginner program for those who are new to running. Our intermediate program is a great option for those who completed last year’s challenge or want more interval workouts. Our advanced program is for those athletes ready for focused speed and distance workouts. If you are already running five (5) or more miles at a time this is the track for you.
For 10+ weeks starting July 11th, give your motivation a boost, improve your performance and make some new friends by joining the challenge. We have a number of workouts available over the course of the week to fit your busy schedule.
Once you join the Training Challenge, you’ll join your mentors in a fun weekly training program. You’ll be trained to first walk, then jog and finally run the event’s 3.1 miles. (intermediate/advanced program participants will have a different run workouts)
When you register for the in person Training Challenge you will choose your location.
How to Enter
Online registration through the 5K registration is the only method of registering for this program. The cost of the program is $55. The Virtual Program is $40. If you are already registered for the 5K but want to join the program, e-mail .
Those taking part in either program will receive:
- 3-5 workouts each week
- Video tips
- Custom Training Challenge t-shirt
- Great clinics and classes throughout the program (for in person participants)
- In person training session (for the in person participants)
Don’t forget to join us on our Freihofer’s Training Challenge Facebook page !
If you have any questions, please email the Freihofer’s Run for Women at .
- 8 a.m. – Southern Saratoga YMCA 1 Wall Street, Clifton Park ( Get driving directions ) Intermediate
- 9 a.m. – The Crossings of Colonie 580 Albany Shaker Road ( Get driving directions ) Beginner/Intermediate
- 5:15 p.m. – Zim Smith Trail – 3 Curry Rd, Round Lake, NY 12151 Beginner
- 5:30 p.m. – Albany Rail Trail - Park behind Slingerland Fire, 1520 New Scotland Road, Slingerlands, 12159, Intermediate
- 5:30 p.m. – Bethlehem HS – 700 Delaware Avenue Delmar, NY 12054 Beginner
- 5:30 p.m. – The Albany Corning Preserve - 1 Quay Street, Albany, NY 12207 ( Get driving directions ) Beginner
- 6 p.m. – Peebles Island – 1 Delaware Ave North, Cohoes, NY 12047 Beginner
- 6 p.m. – Southern Saratoga YMCA 1 Wall Street, Clifton Park ( Get driving directions ) Beginner
- 6 p.m. – The Crossings of Colonie 580 Albany Shaker Road ( Get driving directions ) Beginner/Intermediate
- 6 a.m. – Halfmoon Town Park - 162 NY-236, Clifton Park, NY 12065 Beginner
- 5:30 p.m. – Guilderland Y – 250 Winding Brook Drive Guilderland, NY 12084 Beginner/Intermediate
- 5:30 p.m. – The Crossings of Colonie 580 Albany Shaker Road - back pavilion ( Get driving directions ) Beginner/Intermediate
- 5:30 p.m. – Saratoga State Park, 19 Roosevelt Drive Saratoga Springs, NY 12866 Beginner
- 6:30 a.m. – Colonie Mohawk River Park ( Get driving directions ) Beginner/Intermediate
- 4:30 p.m. - Red Hook Town Park - Red Hook, NY 12571 Intermediate
- 5:30 p.m. – iRunLocal (425 Broadway, Saratoga Springs) ( Get driving directions ) Beginner
- 5:30 p.m. – Southern Saratoga YMCA (1 Wall Street, Clifton Park) ( Get driving directions ) Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced
- 5:30 p.m. – Bethlehem HS – 700 Delaware Avenue Delmar, NY 12054 Beginner
- 6 p.m. – East Greenbush Library – 10 Community Way, East Greenbush, NY 12061 Intermediate
- 8 a.m. – Corinth Post Office - 97 Main Street, Corinth, NY 12822 Beginner
- 5 p.m. - Albany Rail Trail, 722 South Pearl St, Albany, NY 12202 Advanced
- 6 p.m. - Albany Rail Trail - 8 Grove Street Voorheesville, NY Advanced
- 6 p.m. - Saratoga State Park, 19 Roosevelt Drive, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866 Beginner/Intermediate
- 7:30 a.m. – Zim Smith Trail – 3 Curry Rd, Round Lake, NY 12151 Beginner/Intermediate
- 8 a.m. - East Greenbush Bike Path, Greenwood Drive, East Greenbush, NY 12061 Intermediate
- 8 a.m. - Saratoga State Park, 19 Roosevelt Drive, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866 Beginner
Q. Do I have to be registered for the Freihofer’s Run for Women to be able to sign up for the Training Challenge?
Q. Who is coaching this program?
A. Kristen Hislop, Directors of the FRW, has been with the program since its inception. There will be various workouts over the 11 weeks. Sharon Maltbie is Challenge Director. She will be assisted by our incredible volunteer mentors. These women all started where you are now. They can answer questions, motivate, support and commiserate.
Q. What’s the difference between the Full Training Challenge and Virtual Training Challenge?
A. The full Freihofer’s Training Challenge is a paid program that involves coaching and group training workouts. You can sign up when you register for the Freihofer’s Run 5K or by e-mailing . The Virtual Training Challenge will receive the same benefits as the full program except for the in person workouts and clinics. The Virtual Program is just $40. All full Freihofer’s Training Challenge participants automatically get signed up for weekly e-mails.
Q. I’m not receiving the e-mails. What do I do?
A. If you signed up and haven’t seen any e-mails, please check your spam folder and make sure that “” has been added to your Address Book. Otherwise, please e-mail “” with details and we will try to help.
Q. Where do Full Freihofer’s Training Challenge participants meet?
A. You can choose from a variety of workout times and locations (all listed above). We would like you to choose one location when you register. We will encourage your small groups to gather for your other workouts during the week.
Q. Do I have to run with the Training Challenge on September 25, 2021?
A. You can run alone, with friends from the Training Challenge or anyone you choose. We will have a special tent dedicated to the Training Challenge. As long as COVID protocols allow we will also take a group photo before the race and do a warm up run together.
Q. Why is the Training Challenge so inexpensive?
A. Our goal is to get more women running. We know from experience that it can be really tough to get started. We are taking away as many barriers as possible. You’ll get great coaching and support from our team throughout your 11 weeks. Yes, we even give you a freebie week. Most other programs are at least double the cost,
Q. I am interested in being a mentor. What should I do?
Please contact us at email@example.com and we will get you set up.
Disclaimer: The information presented by trainers and educators at weekly training sessions is solely informational so that participants can learn more on different health subjects. Nothing contained in the presentations or discussions is intended to constitute, nor should it be considered, medical advice or to serve as a substitute for the advice of a physician or health care provider. Any information provided is not intended to treat or cure any disease or condition. Always consult your health care provider for all health, diet and weight loss management.
The information should not be considered complete, nor should it be relied on to suggest a course of treatment for a particular individual, nor is it intended to refer you to a particular medical professional or health care provider. It should not be used in place of a visit to, consultation with or advice of a qualified health care provider.
The material is made available with the understanding that we are not engaged in providing diagnostic and treatment advice in this setting. Should you have health care questions, call or see your qualified health care provider promptly. You should never disregard medical advice or delay seeking it because of something you have heard during any portion of the training program. No promises are being made that the information in the presentations will be error free, or that it will provide specific results.
Participation is solely at your own risk. By participating in the training program you understand and acknowledge that everyone that contributes any information during the training program disclaims any liability to you, and all such persons are not liable for losses or damages which may result through the use of information, products and services in the presentations or any other material or information exchanged or related to the training challenge.