Freihofer’s Training Challenge
The Freihofer’s Training Challenge prepares you to run in the Freihofer’s Run for Women 5K. We offer a beginner program for those who are new to running. Our intermediate program is a great option for those who completed last year’s challenge or want more interval workouts. Our advanced program is for those athletes ready for focused speed and distance workouts. If you are already running five (5) or more miles at a time this is the track for you.
For 10+ weeks starting March 18, give your motivation a boost, improve your performance and make some new friends by joining the challenge. We have a number of workouts available over the course of the week to fit your busy schedule.
Once you join the Training Challenge, you’ll join your mentors in a fun weekly training program. You’ll be trained to first walk, then jog and finally run the event’s 3.1 miles. (intermediate/advanced program participants will have a different run workouts)
Weekly training schedule:
- Mondays: The Corning Preserve 6:30am (until there is morning light and then it will move to 6:00am) or The Crossings of Colonie (choose 1pm or 6pm)
- Wednesdays 6pm at:
- Capital District Y branches: Southern Saratoga, Glenville, Duanesburg, Greene County or Troy
- Power House Athletics in Colonie
- BrickHouse Fitness in Voorheesville
- Thursdays: 6pm at iRun LOCAL in Saratoga Springs
You can run one or more day(s) during the week with us (beginners will do a total of 3 workouts) and then we ALL gather on Saturdays together. Saturday sessions are at 8:30 a.m. at Colonie Mohawk River Park (Town Park). On Saturdays we will have guest speakers on nutrition and fitness!
How to Enter
You can sign up for the Training Challenge when you register online for the Freihofer’s Run 5K. Online registration through the 5K registration is the only method of registering for this program. The cost of the program is $55. The Virtual Program is $10. If you are already registered for the 5K but want to join the program, e-mail email@example.com.
Those taking part will receive:
- Custom Training Challenge t-shirt
- Great giveaways throughout the program
- The Y branches are offering a 10 week membership for anyone who signs up for the Training Challenge out of a Capital District Y location on Wednesdays at 6pm. Free childcare is included for anyone at these locations along with any of the Y’s free classes.
- Power House Athletics is offering 2 weeks of free classes to all Training Challenge participants – with 20 classes offered weekly ($100 value).
- Orangetheory Fitness is offering 2 FREE Classes valued at $36 and 60% OFF Chest Bluetooth Heart Rate Monitor (upon signing up for membership) at the Albany, Latham, Niskayuna or Clifton Park locations.
- BrickHouse Fitness is offering all Training Challenge participant 2 weeks of free classes. The full body functional interval training workouts are offered 5 times a day and the times/sign up are all online at https://www.brickfit518.com/.
*** Note: you do not have to take advantage of the offers above. They are all optional.
Don’t forget to join us on our Freihofer’s Training Challenge Facebook page!
About our Partners
Capital District Y
The Capital District YMCA is committed to strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Helping people is what we’re all about at the Y, and has been from the start. We strengthen the foundations of community by nurturing the potential in every child, by promoting healthy living, and by giving back to our community.
At the Y, we are so much more than a gym. We are a cause. And our cause is strengthening community.
Duanesburg Y – 221 Victoria Drive, Delanson, NY 12053
Glenville Y – 127 Droms Road Glenville, New York 12302
Greene County Y – 35 Route 81, West Coxsackie, NY
Southern Saratoga Y – One Wall Street, Clifton Park NY 12065
Troy Y – 2500 21st Street Troy, NY 12180
Power House Athletics – 14 Walker Way Colonie NY 12205
Power House Athletics is an all inclusive training facility for any athlete. We work with youth athletes, adults, football, basketball, boxing, MMA, running, triathlon and more. Power House Athletics is centrally located in the village of Colonie and offers 20 classes per week. If you’re not comfortable in a class setting, our trainers work with clients one on one to focus on detail, form and make sure you get the most benefit from your workouts. Visit our website at powerhouseathleticsny.com for more details.
BrickHouse Fitness – 18 Drywall Lane, Voorheesville NY 12186
Get fit. Stay healthy. Feel amazing. Do it all at BrickHouse Fitness. Our facility and fully-equipped training rooms offer a workout experience in a comfortable, personal and professional atmosphere. BrickHouse Fitness employs certified and experienced trainers who are always on-hand and ready to help our clients have a top notch training experience every time.
If you have any questions, please email the Freihofer’s Run for Women at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Maps & Locations
- 6 a.m. – The Albany Corning Preserve (Jennings Landing) (Get driving directions)
- 1 p.m. – The Crossings of Colonie (580 Albany Shaker Road) (Get driving directions)
- 6 p.m. – The Crossings of Colonie (580 Albany Shaker Road) (Get driving directions)
- 6 p.m. – Southern Saratoga YMCA (1 Wall Street, Clifton Park) (Get driving directions)
- 6 p.m. – Duanesburg Y – 221 Victoria Drive, Delanson, NY 12053
- 6 p.m. – Glenville Y – 127 Droms Road Glenville, New York 12302
- 6 p.m. – Greene County Y – 35 Route 81, West Coxsackie, NY
- 6 p.m. – Troy Y – 2500 21st Street Troy, NY 12180
- 6 p.m. – Power House Athletics – 14 Walker Way Colonie NY 12205
- 6 p.m. – BrickHouse Fitness – 18 Drywall Lane, Voorheesville NY 12186
- 6 p.m. – iRunLocal (18 Congress Street, #3, Saratoga Springs) (Get driving directions)
- 8:30 a.m. – Colonie Mohawk River Park (Get driving directions)
Q. Do I have to be registered for the Freihofer’s Run for Women to be able to sign up for the Training Challenge?
Q. Who is coaching this program?
A. Kristen Hislop and Patrick Lynskey, Co-Directors of the FRW, have been with the program since its inception. There will be various workouts over the 11 weeks. Becky Tennyson is back as Head Coach. She is a high school cross country and track & field coach as well as being an accomplished runner herself. She will be assisted by our incredible volunteer mentors. These women all started where you are now. They can answer questions, motivate, support and commiserate.
Q. What’s the difference between the Full Training Challenge and Virtual Training Challenge?
A. The full Freihofer’s Training Challenge is a paid program that involves coaching and group training workouts. You can sign up when you register for the Freihofer’s Run 5K or by e-mailing email@example.com. The Virtual Training Challenge is the e-mail aspect where participants receive e-mails that include the day’s workouts and tips for a successful race. The Virtual Program is just $10. All full Freihofer’s Training Challenge participants automatically get signed up for these e-mails.
Q. I’m not receiving the e-mails. What do I do?
A. If you signed up and haven’t seen any e-mails, please check your spam folder and make sure that “firstname.lastname@example.org” has been added to your Address Book or sign up for the Virtual Program with another e-mail address. Otherwise, please e-mail “email@example.com” with details and we will try to help.
Q. Where do Full Freihofer’s Training Challenge participants meet?
A. You can choose from a variety of workout times and locations (all listed above). We would like you to choose a home base when you register. Some sites are offering special promotions like a 11 week membership at the Y. You are welcome to join any of the workouts each week. We hope that everyone will gather for the Saturday mornings runs at 8:30 at the Colonie Town Park (Colonie Mohawk River Park). The address for Colonie Mohawk River Park is 71 Schermerhorn Road Cohoes, NY 12047.
Q. Do I have to run with the Training Challenge on June 1?
A. You can run alone, with friends from the Training Challenge or anyone you choose. We will have a special tent dedicated to the Training Challenge. We will also take a group photo before the race and do a warm up run together.
Q. Why is the Training Challenge so inexpensive?
A. Our goal is to get more women running. We know from experience that it can be really tough to get started. We are taking away as many barriers as possible. You’ll get great coaching and support from our team throughout your 11 weeks. Yes, we even give you a freebie week.
Q. I am interested in being a mentor. What should I do?
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get you set up.
Disclaimer: The information presented by trainers and educators at weekly training sessions is solely informational so that participants can learn more on different health subjects. Nothing contained in the presentations or discussions is intended to constitute, nor should it be considered, medical advice or to serve as a substitute for the advice of a physician or health care provider. Any information provided is not intended to treat or cure any disease or condition. Always consult your health care provider for all health, diet and weight loss management.
The information should not be considered complete, nor should it be relied on to suggest a course of treatment for a particular individual, nor is it intended to refer you to a particular medical professional or health care provider. It should not be used in place of a visit to, consultation with or advice of a qualified health care provider.
The material is made available with the understanding that we are not engaged in providing diagnostic and treatment advice in this setting. Should you have health care questions, call or see your qualified health care provider promptly. You should never disregard medical advice or delay seeking it because of something you have heard during any portion of the training program. No promises are being made that the information in the presentations will be error free, or that it will provide specific results.
Participation is solely at your own risk. By participating in the training program you understand and acknowledge that everyone that contributes any information during the training program disclaims any liability to you, and all such persons are not liable for losses or damages which may result through the use of information, products and services in the presentations or any other material or information exchanged or related to the training challenge.