Event Participants Asked to Review Security Guidelines Ahead of Race Day
Albany, N.Y. (Wednesday, May 29, 2019) – Officials at the Freihofer’s Run for Women, one of the nation’s most prestigious all-women road races, announce a few reminders to individuals who will be taking part in the 41st running of the event on Saturday, June 1 at 9 a.m.
Registration for Events:
Although online registration is now closed at freihofersun.com, women can still sign up for the 5K, Junior 3K and Kids’ Run in person at the Health & Fitness Expo Thursday, May 31 from 4-8 p.m. and Friday, June 1 from noon to 7 p.m. at The Armory at Sage College of Albany located at 130 New Scotland Ave., Albany, 12208. The Armory offers ample parking. Directions to the Sage College of Albany can be found by visiting http://www.sage.edu/about/maps-directions/
Race organizers have also decided to offer day-of-event registration from 6:30-8:15 a.m. inside the base of The Egg at the Empire State Plaza.
Race Day Schedule:
6:30-8:15 a.m. — Packet pick and last chance sign up (The Egg at the Empire State Plaza)
9 a.m. — 5K Start (Washington Ave. adjacent to the NYS Capitol)
11 a.m. to Completion — Junior 3K, Kids’ Mile Start; Followed by 50m, 100m, 200m and 400m Kids’ Run distances (Washington Ave. adjacent to the NYS Capitol)
Race Day Parking:
Ample, free event parking is available at:
- Sheridan Hollow (98 Sheridan Ave)
- Lower Sheridan (80 Sheridan Ave.)
- Elk Street Surface Lot (corner of S. Swan Street & Elk Street, and off Spruce
- Street, east of Lark Street)
- Empire State Plaza (P-3 and V-Lots)
- Madison Ave. Lot (Located on Madison Avenue above the Cultural Education Center)
- East Garage (Corner of Eagle Street and Madison Avenue)
- Grand Street Surface Lot (45 Grand Street/near Hamilton Street)
- Cathedral Lot (between Cathedral and Cultural Education Center)
- Times Union Center (Main entrance on Beaver Street, adjacent to the Times Union Center)
- Additional lots: https://freihofersrun.com/parking/
Race Day Security:
The Albany Police Department and race organizers would like to inform participants and spectators that the following security measures will be in place:
- Backpacks/coolers/duffle bags/large purses, etc. will not be permitted at the race venue.
- Diaper bags, camera bags and other small non-see-through bags, while allowed, will be subject to search. Please allow ample time to access the race site.
- Anything brought on site, including runners’ items for FRW bag-check, must be transported in a clear plastic bag for easy inspection. Clear plastic bags will be available at the Freihofer’s Health & Fitness Expo at The Armory at Sage College of Albany
- No animals, dogs or domestic pets (with the exception of service dogs) will be al- lowed on site.
- All 5K participants should be on site by 8:20 a.m. for the 9 a.m. start.
- Non-runners are not allowed in the start/finish chute during the event
- The bag check area is located inside the base of The Egg.
- The APD is asking race participants, spectators and residents to be vigilant and report any suspicious activity. Anyone who sees suspicious activity is asked to call the event’s tips line at (518) 300-0570.
- Media calls regarding event security should be directed to the APD at (518) 889-9446.
For more event information, please visit our website at https://freihofersrun.com/media/