Event Participants Asked to Review Security Guidelines Ahead of Race Day
Albany, N.Y. – Officials at the Freihofer’s Run for Women, one of the nation’s most prestigious all-women road races, announce a few reminders to individuals who will be taking part in the 40th running of the event on Saturday, June 2 at 9 a.m.
Registration for Events:
Although online registration is now closed at freihofersun.com, women can still sign up for the 5K, Junior 3K and Kids’ Run in person at the Health & Fitness Expo Thursday, May 31 from 4-8 p.m. and Friday, June 1 from noon to 7 p.m. at The Armory at Sage College of Albany located at 130 New Scotland Ave., Albany, 12208.
Thursday Night Past Champions Panel Discussion:
To commemorate the Run for Women’s ruby anniversary, event organizers will host a free panel discussion Thursday, May 31 from 6:30-7:30 p.m. featuring past event champions in the Renaissance Room in The Armory at Sage College of Albany, 130 New Scotland Ave, Albany. Parking is free. The panel will feature: Jacqueline Gareau (1982 winner), Regina Joyce (1983 winner), Elva Dryer (1997 winner and 2004 runner up), Carmen Troncoso (Multiple masters race winner, top 10 finisher and age group winner), and Joan Benoit Samuelson (1984 Olympic Marathon gold medalist and FRW masters race winner). Dave Oja, Moderator (Longtime FRW race announcer). Seating is limited. For more information, visit http://bit.ly/ChampionsPanel
Race Day Schedule:
9 a.m. — 5K (Washington Ave. adjacent to the NYS Capitol)
11 a.m. to Completion — Junior 3K, Kids’ Mile Start; Followed by 50m, 100m, 200m and 400m Kids’ Run distances (Washington Ave. adjacent to the NYS Capitol)
Race Day Parking:
Ample, free event parking is available at:
- Sheridan Hollow (98 Sheridan Ave)
- Lower Sheridan (80 Sheridan Ave.)
- Elk Street Surface Lot (corner of S. Swan Street & Elk Street, and off Spruce Street, east of Lark Street)
- Empire State Plaza (P-3 and V-Lots)
- Madison Ave. Lot (Located on Madison Avenue above the Cultural Education Center)
- East Garage (Corner of Eagle Street and Madison Avenue)
- Grand Street Surface Lot (45 Grand Street/near Hamilton Street)
- Cathedral Lot (between Cathedral and Cultural Education Center)
- Times Union Center (Main entrance on Beaver Street, adjacent to the Times Union Center)
- Additional lots: https://freihofersrun.com/parking/
Lyft will also provide rides to and from the race. New users get $5 off their first 4 rides with code: FREIHOFER20.
Race Day Security:
The Albany Police Department and race organizers would like to inform participants and spectators that the following security measures will be in place:
- Backpacks/coolers/duffle bags/large purses, etc. will not be permitted at the race venue.
- Diaper bags, camera bags and other small non-see-through bags, while allowed, will be subject to search. Please allow ample time to access the race site.
- Anything brought on site, including runners’ items for FRW bag-check, must be transported in a clear plastic bag for easy inspection. Clear plastic bags will be available at the Freihofer’s Health & Fitness Expo at The Armory at Sage College of Albany
- No animals, dogs or domestic pets (with the exception of service dogs) will be allowed on site.
- All 5K participants should be on site by 8:20 a.m. for the 9 a.m. start.
- Non-runners are not allowed in the start/finish chute during the event
A bag check area is located at the base of The Egg.
The APD is asking race participants, spectators and residents to be vigilant and report any suspicious activity. Anyone who sees suspicious activity is asked to call the event’s tips line at (518) 300-0570.
Media calls regarding event security should be directed to the APD at (518) 889-9446.