Familiar Faces Set to Compete for Masters Title at June 4 Freihofer’s Run for Women in Albany, NY
Sheri Piers of Falmouth, ME
ALBANY, N.Y. (May 19, 2016) — If practice makes perfect, then the slew of familiar faces vying for the masters (over 40) title at the 38th Freihofer’s Run for Women (Saturday, June 4 in downtown Albany) will be extremely well versed at navigating this 5K’s challenging terrain.
The division’s leading contender will undoubtedly be last year’s second place finisher, Sheri Piers, 44. The Falmouth, ME resident, who was edged to the tape in 2015 by Boulder, Colo.’s Melody Fairchild (who couldn’t make this year’s race due to the birth of her first child), continues to run strongly and was the fourth master (and 29th overall) at last month’s Boston Marathon. She also competed at the 2016 Olympic Marathon trials held Feb. 13 in Los Angeles.
“Sheri is always a terrific competitor and we are thrilled to have her back in our field,” said Elite Athlete Recruiter John Tope. “Like FRW open field competitor Sara Hall, Sheri plans to compete in the event’s mother/daughter competition with her daughter, Karley, so this year will be extra special for her!”
Piers, who was inducted into the 41st class of the Maine Sports Hall of Fame in January, will be joined on the starting line by veteran masters competitor Paula Wiltse, 48, (Brockville, ONT), who is known for her hard, front-running style and finished in third position in 2015 (18:00) and Marisa Sutera Strange, 52, (Pleasant Valley, N.Y.), a special education P.E. teacher who was fourth in 2015 (18:16) and earned 2015 National Masters 5K Championship accolades at Syracuse’s Festival of Races.
Event organizers have also received commitments from:
Joan Benoit Samuelson
- Joan Benoit Samuelson, 58, (Freeport, ME), the first woman to win Olympic gold in the marathon and a two-time Boston Marathon and Chicago Marathon winner. Samuelson will join 13 other elite runners in the event’s popular Invited Athlete School Visitation Program. Through the program, now in its 23rd year, athletes visit area elementary and middle schools to talk about healthy eating and exercise habits, their training and travel schedules, as well as trips to the Olympic games and other world championships.
- Carmen Ayala-Troncoso, 57, (Austin, TX), a longtime fan favorite whose recent races include 5th 2015 World Cross-Country Masters 8K Championships (Lyon, France), 1st 55-59 age group 2015 National Masters 5K Championship and 1st in the 55-59 age group at the 2015 National Master's 12K Championship.
- Renee Tolan, 41, (Clifton Park, N.Y.), a local runner, who boasts a string of recent successes, including 1st Master 2016 BAA 5K (17:44), 3rd Master 2016 Carlsbad 5K (17:37) and 3rd Master 2016 National Masters 10K Championships (James Joyce Ramble). Tolan is one of 14 athletes from across the country selected to compete in a masters invitational 1500m during the USA Outdoor Track & Field Championships at Hayward Field in Eugene, Ore. this July.
- Erin Corcoran, 41, (Schenectady, N.Y.), runner up to Tolan at the 2016 BAA 5K (18:53), and whose recent results include 4th Master 2016 Running of the Green 4 Mile, 2nd Master 2015 Hangover Half and 3rd Master 2015 Cardiac Classic.
- Libby James, 79, (Fort Collins, Colo.), who received USATF’s Masters 2015 LDR Road Runner of the Year accolades and who finished 1st in her age group at the 2015 US Cross-Country Championships.
For more information about the 38th annual Freihofer’s Run for Women, 29th annual Kids’ Run and 6th annual Freihofer’s Junior 3K Run, visit freihofersrun.com. Online registration is open through midnight on Tuesday, May 31. From the event’s home page, you can also link to the event's Facebook, Twitter and YouTube pages.
Event sponsors include the Charles Freihofer Baking Company, Price Chopper Supermarkets and The City of Albany. Media partners include 99.5 The River, CBS6 and the Times Union.
Freihofer's, a leading baker of wholesome products, is committed to fostering the growth and recognition of women in sports and inspiring all generations of women to experience the benefits of exercise and good nutrition. Freihofer's continues to set the pace by sponsoring the annual Freihofer's Run for Women 5K. Now in its 38th year, the event is home to the Master's World Best & U.S. All-Comers record of 15:48 set in 2004 by Colleen DeReuck and features thousands of women from recreational joggers to Olympians who challenge themselves on the picturesque 3.1-mile course. For more information, visit freihofersrun.com