Fairchild to Take Run at Second Freihofer's Run for Women 5K Masters Title in Albany, NY on 5/30/15
Melody Fairchild crosses the finish line as the #1 masters runner at the 2014 Freihofer's Run for Women in Albany, NY.
ALBANY, N.Y. (May 6, 2015) — Melody Fairchild, 41, (Boulder, Colo.), will be seeking to earn back-to-back masters titles when she headlines another impressive over-40 field at the 37th Freihofer’s Run for Women 5K on Saturday, May 30 in Albany, N.Y.
Fairchild, whose recent sparkling form includes 2014 USATF national master’s titles at 5K, 10K, 15K and USA Half Marathon Trail Championships, appears to be the favorite on the event’s new course, which starts and finishes adjacent to the New York State Capitol and directly in front of Albany City Hall. Click here to see a video of the new course: http://bit.ly/1J54Cd0
The former University of Oregon standout, whose string of successful appearances here as an open athlete included a 5th place finish in 1997 (15:42), will have her work cut out for her once again by Sheri Piers, 43, (Falmouth, ME), whom she edged by 29 seconds to claim victory in Albany in 2014.
“Melody remains a serious contender and our new course certainly plays in her favor, since she has such tremendous finishing speed,” said Elite Athlete Recruiter John Tope. “The elevation of the hill start isn’t as steep as Madison Avenue and our new course utilizes much more of Washington Park than the previous edition. I’m really expecting a fun and entertaining race.”
Piers, who is trained by three-time Freihofer’s Run for Women champion Benita Willis and was the first American woman to cross the line at the 2012 Boston Marathon, will also be joined on the starting line by veteran master’s competitor Paula Wiltse, 47, (Brockville, ONT). Wiltse, who has a reputation for her hard, front-running style, is no stranger to New York’s capital city having won the 2008 masters title, as well as posted respectable 6th (2009), 3rd (2010), 4th (2011) and 3rd (2014) place finishes subsequently.
Event organizers have also received commitments from:
- Carmen Ayala-Troncoso, 56, (Austin, TX), a longtime fan favorite who ran 17:46 in 2010 to win the event’s over-50 title.
- Marisa Sutera Strange, 51, (Pleasant Valley, N.Y.), a special education P.E. teacher, who was the 4th master at Freihofer’s in 2014 (18:16) and who recently won the USATF Masters 10 km Championship in Dedham, MA (37:00).
- Christy Peterson, 40, (Chicago, Ill.), a new addition to the masters ranks, whose 2015 results include 2nd at the Gate River Run 15K (57:15) and 2nd at the Naples Daily News Half Marathon (1:25:29).
- Lyubov Denisova, 43, (Gainesville, Fla.), a former two-time Los Angles Marathon winner, who was the 1st master at both the 2015 Cooper Bridge Run and Naples Half Marathon.
- Renee Tolan, 40, (Clifton Park, N.Y.), a local runner whose recent accomplishments include 3rd USATF Masters 10 km Championship and 27th overall at the 2014 Freihofer’s Run for Women (18:10).
- Erin Corcoran, 40, (Schenectady, N.Y.), another Capital Region athlete, who recently finished as the 1st master in the 2014 Firecracker 4 Race, as well as 5th master in the 2014 Freihofer’s Run for Women.
- Kristin Barry, 43, (Scarborough, ME), Sherri Piers’s running partner, who placed 5th in the masters division at this year’s Boston Marathon, as well as finished as the 3rd master at this year’s Yuengling Shamrock Half Marathon.
- Libby James, 79, (Boulder, Colo.), Running Times magazine’s 2011 “Master Runner of the Year” (70-74 & 75-79 age groups), whose recent accolades include 1st Age Group 2015 USATF Cross-Country Championships and 1st Age Group 2014 Syracuse Festival of Races.
To register for the 37th annual Freihofer’s Run for Women, 28th annual Kids’ Run, 27th annual Community Walk and 5th annual Freihofer’s Junior 3K, visit freihofersrun.com. Online registration is available through midnight on 5/26. In person registration will be held 5/27 (10 a.m. to 6 p.m.) and 5/28 (10 a.m. to 2 p.m.) at Price Chopper Supermarkets’ Westgate Plaza store, as well as 5/29 from noon to 7 p.m. at the CapitalCare/CDPHP Health & Fitness Expo at the Empire State Plaza Convention Hall. There is no day-of-event registration.
For a map of the new course, as well as event parking locations, please click here http://www.freihofersrun.com/course_change.htm From the event’s home page, you can also join the conversation on the Freihofer’s Run for Women’s social media platforms.
Event sponsors include the Charles Freihofer Baking Company, Price Chopper Supermarkets, CSC and The City of Albany. Media partners include CBS6, 810 & 103-1 News Radio WGY and 99.5 The River.
Freihofer's, a leading baker of wholesome products, is committed to fostering the growth and recognition of women in sports and inspiring all generations of women to experience the benefits of exercise and good nutrition. Freihofer's continues to set the pace by sponsoring the annual Freihofer's Run for Women 5K. Now in its 37th year, the event is home to the Master's World & U.S. All-Comers record and boasts a silver label designation from the IAAF, the world governing body for track and field. It features thousands of women of all ages and abilities from Olympians to recreational joggers, who challenge themselves on the picturesque 3.1-mile course. For more information, visit http://www.freihofers.com/